top of page

About Us

pngwing_edited_edited.png

St.George Coptic Orthodox Church

Our church building was built in the 1950's and has been in the community since. The building had always been used as a church until our congregation purchased it in 2002 to be the home of St. George Coptic Orthodox Church of Maryland. His Grace Bishop Michael (then Fr. Shenouda El Baramousy used it as headquarters and a flagship of the numerous churches established by him . HG continued to make it his office after his consecration as bishop on June 7th, 2009. Our blessed Father John joined the service with HG Bp. Michael in October 2009 and is currently serving side by side with Father Guirguis who moved from Egypt and joined our clergy in 2011. We thank God for sending us such a great blessing and we hope to share these blessings with everyone.

The Coptic Orthodox Church

We are an apostolic faith, the origin of the Christian Church delineating its separatism from Judaism and in which the Apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ lived and preached the Christian faith.

The Coptic Church was established in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ by St. Mark the Evangelist in the city of Alexandria around 43 A.D. He was our first Pope. The term "Orthodoxy" here refers to the preservation of the "Original Faith" by the Copts who, throughout the ages, defended the Old Creed against the numerous attacks aimed at it. Our current Pope is Pope Tawadros ll. He is the 118th Pope of unbroken patriarchs since Saint Mark.

Who's who

bottom of page